What is Neighbourhood Watch?
Neighbourhood Watch is a community led initiative to bring local people together to address crime and other community safety issues. Neighbourhood Watch groups often liaise with the local police, the local authority and other agencies.
The concept originated in the United States and was introduced into the UK in the 1980s. Behind it lies a very simple idea Working together can help to improve your community.
Neighbourhood Watches can be large, covering most of the households on an estate, or they might involve just a few houses. They may meet frequently, or only keep in touch via e-mail. There really is no 'one size fits all' approach to Neighbourhood Watch. Neighbourhood Watch adapts to fit the community it serves.
What are the benefits of Neighbourhood Watch?
- Areas of local concern can be addressed
- Your problem becomes a shared problem
- People work together to make communities safer
- You can work together with other NW Schemes, the police and other partners
- Opportunity to know your neighbours, local police officers and other service providers
- Being a member of NW may secure a discount on your house insurance
Download our leaflet on the benefits of Neighbourhood Watch and how to get involved.
Register with Neighbourhood Scotland to receive national and local information regarding community safety and specific alerts for Dumfries & Galloway visit, .co.uk/cvislick herewww.neighbourhoodwatchscotland